Re: Create index via ALTER TABLE command

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:56:31 -0700

Jens Riedel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm just trying to move an application from MySQL to Oracle 9.2.
>
> Now I'm looking for the equivalent for the MySQL statement:
>
> ALTER TABLE tablename
> ADD INDEX indexname ( column1, column2 )
>
> Is there a possibility to use an ALTER TABLE syntax in Oracle, too?
> I only found a CREATE INDEX statement.
>
> Regards,
> Jens

Go to http://www.psoug.org
click on Morgan's Library
click on Indexes

There is no ALTER TABLE ADD INDEX in Oracle.

Oracle is NOT MyMSQL so you need to read the Oracle docs and not try to kludge syntax from another product into working with Oracle.

Please also note that the transaction and locking models are very different as are the types of tables, types of indexes, types of constraints, and just about everything else.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org