Re: Newbie:Spool file

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Jun 2005 01:49:54 -0700

Dmitry E. Loginov wrote:
> "Generic Account 1209" <masc1209_at_rohan.sdsu.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello Everyone,
> > I am learning SqlPlus and I wonder if there's a way
> > to append the some of my SQL practice into the same
> > file?
> > I mean, I would like to something like the following
> >
> > SQL>spool prac.txt
> > SQL>select * from empbb02;
> > SQL>spool off
> > SQL>do something else
> > SQL>spool prac.txt
> > SQL>alter table empbb02....
> > SQL>spool off
> >
> > I would like to capture only some of my practice into the
> > same file.
> > Is there a way to do it?
>

> Unfortunately you can't append spool to a existing file, nevertheless you
> can spool your output to set of files (prac1.txt, prac2.txt, etc) and
> concatenate ones later by the OS coman (f.e. copy) using HOST command in
> SQLPlus.
> Yet another way - If there is not necessary to see results on the terminal
> while script running, You can redirect output of the SQLPlus to file in the
> command line (f.e. sqlplus u/p_at_db @sript.sql > prac.txt) and use SET TERMOUT
> command to turn output on and off.
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Dean
>
> Dmitry

Slightly different version would be to keep spooling to e.g. prac.txt but right after each spool off command copy the contents to another file,

SQL> spool prac.txt
SQL> bunch of stuff
SQL> spool off
SQL> host more prac.txt>>combinedprac.txt
SQL> spool prac.txt

Regards
/Rauf Received on Thu Jun 16 2005 - 03:49:54 CDT