Re: Oracle JDBC driver's limitations

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 06:53:16 GMT

On Thu, 26 May 2005 13:54:18 +0800, as interested us by writing:

> I read the book and manual on oracle's jdbc driver, and it SEEMS to suggest
> that oracle's driver has some extra limitations. However, the description
> is not clear enough so I just want to double check here.

It also has some benefits that the manual describes. You just gotta find your balance point <g>

> I am using Oracle 9i R2.
>
> In the following code, my understanding is oracle requries the rs.close()
> and pstmt.close() must be present. Is it true? The online documentation
> vaguely suggested that because the driver doesnt have a finalizer() so the
> user must explicitly close ResultSet and Statement. And, I do come across
> such an example in another Oracle jdbc textbook.

I'm not sure what is vague about the following statement, from Chapter 19 of the online JDBC Developer's Guide and Reference from docs.oracle.com ...

The Oracle JDBC drivers do not have finalizer methods. They perform cleanup routines by using the close() method of the ResultSet and Statement classes. If you do not explicitly close your result set and statement objects, significant memory leaks can occur.
--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com