Re: Generating Huge Table

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:30:34 +0200

as wrote:

> By the way, is MERGE an Oracle specific extension to SQL? Is it available
> in MSSQL and MySQL? I need to make sure my app is portable. It looks like
> availability of MERGE affects the whole design.

Oh my god - here we go again :)

You know, there's an excellent opportunity to make your application portable, and it's called cards. Just write on 'em, and you can take them anywhere. True portability! Truly lightweight! Minimal cost - low TCO! How's that for marketing?

STOP treating databases like bins with data, and start using them. They way you envision your app is no different than using flat files; very portable, too!

START reading about the specifics of each underlying engine, and start using that - why would you buy the 7.3 liter/630BHP top-of-the-bill car, when you plan not to go any faster tha 30Mph? The 1 liter/40Bhp 20 times cheaper model could have done that, too.

How about an API, specific for each engine, and make the calls to that API universal. I know - it doesn't give you the opportunity to show off with some beta demo on the short term, but it's pretty universal on the longer term. And -once the customers get the idea- it will get you credibility, as you actually have to think this through!

To the problem at hand: write a procedure that will do the job - it's database based, so no round trips over a slow network. It's SQL, and it's set processing, so it's *fast*.
Call the procedure from your java program. MSSQL supports procedures, and so does MySQL.
Get a team of Oracle PL/SQL, MS TSQL and MySQL programmers; you do the Java stuff you're good at - they do the stuff they're good at.

My 3c

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel