Re: Generating Huge Table

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:56:26 -0700

as wrote:

> Another concern is MERGE expects a *TABLE* of rows to be merged into the
> target table. But the point is my java program generates 1 *ROW* at a time.
> How should I utilitised the MERGE statement? Is it by creating a temporary
> table an do a MERGE for, say, every 10 rows generated?

The point would be to try and do this all in SQL with perhaps a PL/SQL table function. Query the initial table via a table function, that applies the calculation/mapping that you want to do, and use the result set from this in the MERGE with the existing table. It will probably all boil down then to single SQL statement which the engine will process for you. See the Oracle By Example on OTN, specifically http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/obe9ir2/obe-dwh/index.html

I reference the following sections
Using the New Upsert Functionality, SQL MERGE Keyword Overview Table Function Overview Received on Mon May 23 2005 - 20:56:26 CDT