Re: Table Design In General

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:37:00 +0200

Chris wrote:
> Frank,
>
> While I can definitely appreciate the humor in your post, perhaps you
> are not familiar with the recording industry ...
>
> Let me most assuredly inform you that in this industry part numbers can
> (and do) change all the time. For example:
>
> Record label A manufactures and distributes Album X from artist Y -
> part number is 123 and UPC is 789.
>
> Record label B acquires/buys/whatever record company A. Album X by
> artist Y is now part number 456 from company B with the same 789 UPC
> code (unitl they run out of inventory, at which time the UPC will
> change to reflect the new vendor if they reprint the title).
>
> Again - this is just one tiny illustration of an EXTREMELY common
> event.
>
> I may not be a DBA, but I certainly know my business.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

You just solved your problem: the primary key did not change:
Company - part# - UPC #

In other words: My Elvis album is still Elvis, and my Deutsche Grammophon Beethoven s 9th by the Berliner Philharmoniker, conducted by Herbert von Karajan is still that, and will always be.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel