Re: DB connectivity

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 06:48:54 -0400

"HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2005.05.09.04.25.55.83546_at_telus.net...
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 23:22:44 -0700, madunix interested us by writing:
>
>> Please can you specify the best approach for connecting to the Oracle
>> Database?
>> IE: using PHP, ASP.NET, JSP/Java, CF...etc.
>
> Absolutely 100%, no doubt about it, the BEST approach is to use Oracle
> Forms. (see caveat)
>
> Unless it isn't in your situation.
>
> IOW - basic analysis is needed. (There ain't such a beast as a universal
> 'best'. It all depends.)
>
> ---------------
>
> (caveat: if you have the appropriate skills, hardware and software, are
> working in the appropriate environment, etc. AND it solves your business
> needs.)
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** I no longer assist with top-posted newsgroup queries ***

i've used forms extensively since IAF (version 1, if you will)

i think it's time to move on -- i would really hesitate to recommend introducing forms into a shop that doesn't already use it

if you go beyond a basic application, you have to invest a lot of time learning how forms thinks in order to get it to behave, and get used to some fairly convoluted ways of working with properties, etc.

i've got a lot of slick forms applications out there -- but implementing a prime-time application in forms requires a higher investment in time, and infrastructure

++ mcs Received on Mon May 09 2005 - 05:48:54 CDT