Oracle Error - ORA-01861: literal does not match format string"

From: Abhishek <abhitriv_at_netscape.net>
Date: 29 Apr 2005 04:15:53 -0700

In my application working on oracle 10g database and Red Hat Linux Advanced Server 2.1 on HP Itanium pcs.

When i use in my query statements like

update table1 set colmn_dt = to_date(sysdate,'DD/MON/YYYY');

it is giving me the following error.

ORA-01861: literal does not match format string"

The resaon for this is i can understand that i m trying to use a date type column in a to_date function.

What i cannot undertand is that why did this has not given me the error uptil now(the application has been running for one year approx) and now also it is giving me the error for some cases only, otherwise this query runs fine.

i hope some one can describe me the unconsistancy of the given query.

thanx in advance. Received on Fri Apr 29 2005 - 06:15:53 CDT