Re: keep select in transaction

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:54:38 +0000 (UTC)

>> Based on my understanding of your understanding of my understanding,
>> etc. you are wrong on all counts.
>>
>> if a single DML statement, or PL/SQL call doesn't end with either
>> COMMIT or ROLLBACK the statement has not ended. What happens next
>> is still part of the same transaction.

> So it all boils down to... did you mean transaction as a single plsql > call or did you mean transaction as a single DML?

A transaction is well defined. From
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10743/transact.htm#CNCPT117

A transaction is a logical unit of work that contains one or more SQL statements. A transaction is an atomic unit. The effects of all the SQL statements in a transaction can be either all committed (applied to the database) or all rolled back (undone from the database).

A transaction begins with the first executable SQL statement. A transaction ends when it is committed or rolled back, either explicitly with a COMMIT or ROLLBACK statement or implicitly when a DDL statement is issued.

So, regarding transactions, Daniel is right. Nevertheless, I still stand by my observation that Oracle can see data commited in an (other) transaction whose commit time was after the 'first' transaction begun.

Rene

--
  Rene Nyffenegger
  http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/