Re: why to migrate from infromix to oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:07:12 -0700

Girish wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are doing an exercise of migrating an application (developed in
> Informix 4gl) from Informix to Oracle database.
> Before doing actual migration, we would like to know some of the key
> advantages of Oracle over Informix. If there are any examples of any
> company getting benefits because of this kind of migration, please
> reply me such kind of case studies.
>
> Please reply to my email id.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Girish.

To leverage Oracle's examples you will need to rewrite your code to use what is Oracle but not Informix.

To start with reads don't block writes and writes don't block reads. Then there is a huge base of functionality available in the many built-in packages. And it goes on from there. I have a 3 hour lecture on the topic that barely scratches the surface.

Take a look at interMedia.
Take a look at ADDM.
Take a look at locally managed tablespaces. Take a look at undo.
Take a look at how log files work.
Take a look at the analytic functions.

But most of all get a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and in the first three chapters substitute the name "Informix" every time you read "SQL Server."

If you contact me off-line I can put you in touch with someone in a company that, several years ago, did what you are about to do.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington