Re: NLS_LANG setting for 10G client v. 8.1.7 client?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:52:20 +0200

On 6 Apr 2005 13:56:07 -0700, "Script Me" <script_me_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>do u suppose this has anything to do with it?
>
>http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=50&thread=280941&message=&tstart=0&trange=15899897

No, I don't think so.
In fact, the problem seem to occur earlier in the process, but you would need to verify a few things.

 user enters a characters in a word document. This is Winblows UK, I suspect? This means Winblows will be using codepage 1252. This is Oracle characterset WE8MSWIN1252.

On what platform does the webform run, and the Apache Webserver? *Nix?
In that case you probably have conversion because of the cut and paste operation.
Anyway: there is NO conversion between the webserver and the database, and the characterset of the Word document is incompatible with the database characterset, so the problem occurs before the data reaches the webserver.

The general recommendation seems to be the characterset of the database must always been set to the native characterset of the O/S The NLS_LANG on the client must be set to the characterset of the client.
If Apache runs on windhose, set the NLS_LANG to anything.WE8MSWIN1252 and see what happens.
If have a few articles on Metalink bookmarked dealing with these issues, but I don't have access to Metalink here, as I don't remember the password.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA