Re: update email address

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:18:08 GMT

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:55:02 -0700, Sheela interested us by writing:

> Hi there,
> I would like to update 5000 email address from
>
> name_at_xxxxxx.com to name_at_yyyyy.com.
> name1_at_xxxxxx.com to name1_at_yyyyy.com
> -----
> ------
> -----
> I tried this statment :
> update student a set
> substr(a.email_addr,(instr(a.email_addr,'@')+1),10) = 'yyyyy.com'where
> stud_id like 'name'
>

> but I am getting ORA-00927: missing equal sign
>

> How I can do that using update statment?
>
> Thanks

Note the syntax for the UPDATE statement from the SQL Reference doc at http://docs.oracle.com.

Basically the SET clause requires a column on the left side immediately after the 'set', but you seem to have a wild expression in place of the column name. (Nor does your statement meet any of the other variations permitted.)

I suggest purchasing (and reading<g>) the O'Reilly book 'Mastering Oracle SQL' before you go too much further.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com