Re: UTL_FILE Help - ORA-29280

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:26:10 GMT

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:59:44 -0700, Jonathon interested us by writing:

> Thanks for all of the help...got rid of the error. Now, I have a
> slightly different problem. I am going to be calling this stored
> procedure from forms to have it create an output file...which I need to
> eventually reside on the application server, not the database server.
> So, my question is, how do I/can I make the directory point to a folder
> on the app server (instead of the database server)?

There are two cars. You are driving one. You now need to steer the other. Any ideas how to do that?

Some ideas for your problem ...

Since the database server, and it's services, can only access the database server's host machine, you need to make the application server's host disk available to the database server's host machine. (Samba, NFS?)

Or change your strategy and have the write performed in the App Server.

Or add a process to copy from the database server's host to the app server's host. (Perhaps UTL_TCP supplied PL/SQL package.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com