Re: Design Consideration for Number Column

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 20:05:09 -0800

"dd" <dd_at_dd.com> wrote in message news:424d7051$1_2_at_rain.i-cable.com...
> Is it a good design to use NUMBER for all numeric columns (vs specific
> precision, say, NUMBER(8,2))? Is there any real benefit to specify a
> precision ?
>
> I have this problem because Donald Bales in his book Java Programming with
> JDBC, Oreilly (chap 10.2) does recommend us defining both Integer and
> floating point values as NUMBER. I am not sure if JDBC type mapping is a
> reason for his recommendation.
>
> Thx for any advice

I would use whatever precision is appropriate for your business needs. (eg if you are storing monetary values then perhaps 2 decimal places is correct. if you are storing the number of items in an order then 0 decimal places is correct. and so forth) Use it as a constraint on what the numbers should be.
Jim Received on Fri Apr 01 2005 - 22:05:09 CST