High CPU and IO Waits

From: Saeed <saeed_at_goaway_nms-sys-ltd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:59:00 +0100

We're experiencing very high CPU utilisation on our Oracle server (8i, Solaris).

The 2Tb database files reside on a SAN.

Having set up some monitoring I have noticed high CPU correlates with high IO Waits.

To me this points to a SAN issue, but this being an organisation where the SAN people just look after the SAN, the UNIX people just look after the UNIX server, and the DBA's do nothing of any great value, it's difficult to prove.

I think the correlation between IO Waits and high CPU is ample evidence of something up with the SAN. My question here is whether there is anything else I should consider - have you had any experience of similar problems?

Saeed

ng_786 Received on Fri Apr 01 2005 - 10:59:00 CST