Re: How to store binary files in Oracle?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:49:41 +0100

On 24 Mar 2005 23:41:36 -0800, "Ramon F Herrera" <ramon_at_conexus.net> wrote:

>I am designing an application which will store PDF files in the
>database.
>Like most people, I have been saving just regular "text" records so far
>so
>this is new to me.
>
>What are the specifics of saving arbitrary binary files in Oracle?
>What should I read?
>
>TIA,
>
>-Ramon F Herrera

You should read up on LOBs.
Basically you have the choice between BLOB and BFILE A Blob is stored within the database. A BFILE is a pointer to an O/S file. You can update a BLOB, but you can't update a BFILE. Also, with BFILEs you have the risk someone deletes them from the O/S.

Another aspect is you likely are going to store your LOB outside the database record (to avoid chaining) in separate LOBsegments, and those segments potentially in a separate tablespace.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA