Re: Updating an Oracle Table from SQLServer

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:25:37 +0000

In message <1111513869.415407.163220_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, mike <hillmw_at_charter.net> writes
>I have this SqlServer table and need a portion of that data in my
>Oracle Table. This movement of data happens weekly.
>
>I have this process for doing that. Here is some pseudocode of the
>process that I am employing:
>
>Select the data from the SqlServer.
> Loop over the SqlServer result set.
> Query the Oracle table to see if the key exits.
> If the key exists
> Execute a Update Statement to Oracle Table
> Else
> Execute an Insert Statement to the Oracle Table
> End IF
> End Loop
>
>I am looping over 44k records.
>
>Anyone have any other ideas that i should look into?
>
>Mike

I assume this is a client process?

Depending on your oracle version, look at Heterogeneous Services and the Merge statement (shortcut for insert-or-update)

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from