Re: Performance difference between Windows and Solaris 10g

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:35:29 +0100

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:17:14 +0100, "Putz Ronald" <rputz_at_etm-ag.com> wrote:

>Hy!
>
>We got the same datamodell on Solaris and on WindowsXP. But there is a mojor
>difference in the Performance. The database on Windows is much faster than
>the one on Solaris although the Solaris machine is a dual processor. The
>initialization parameters are also correct, I hope so (like db_block_size
>rtc.). Does anyone have the same problem or know what can be the reason of
>this performance lack?
>
>Solaris Version:
>Machine hardware: sun4u
>OS version: 5.9
>Processor type: sparc
>Hardware: SUNW,Sun-Fire-V250

Basically you would need to post much more information for anyone to come up with a valid answer.
For a start you'll need to run statspack, generate a statspack report, and submit it to www.oraperf.com
You say there is a major difference in performance, but you don't specify it in any fashion, nor do you provide any information of the hardware and/or on disks involved. Chances are very high you are comparing apples and pears.
So 'Does anyone know' No, of course not, as no one on this forum is clairvoyant and we aren't looking over your shoulder.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA