Re: newbie: examples of regular expressions in oracle?

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 11 Mar 2005 11:43:57 -0800

bbcrock_at_hotmail.com wrote:
: thanks.

: I researched this and found lots of issues w/ regex in oracle 8i.

: Unfortunately the html tag attributes vary on this one. I ran a count
: and there are 41 records to modify, which isn't an impossible task. I
: will see if anyone has some hacks on Replace that could work.

In a perl group it would be pointed out that you cannot reliably edit html using regular expressions.

To tie that to Oracle, my own approach, which may not help you, would be to use perl, with DBI, to extract the data from oracle, HTML::Parser to help cut/chop/splice/dice the html in perl, and then use DBI to put the result back into the Oracle database.

On a PC, Perl 5.6 from active state is trivial to install, and if the PC has oracle installed then it is also trivial to use PPM to install the Oracle DBD so perl can speak to oracle. (note 5.6, not 5.8 which requires other steps to speak to oracle).

Of course that assumes you know enough perl to make it worthwhile to go that route at all.

(And I suppose Java could be used in a similar way using JDBC).

--

This space not for rent.