Re: How can I tell if an application requires Enterprise Edition.

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 05:24:53 +0000

In message <1110472636.114312_at_yasure>, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes
>Jim Smith wrote:
>
>> I have a new client who have no in-house Oracle expertise. Their
>>external software developer told them they needed Enterprise Edition,
>>but I am fairly sure they can get by with Standard (and save a lot of
>>money in the process)
>> Obviously, I will ask the developer why they think EE is needed, but
>>I suspect they don't know. They have just done a default
>>Next|Next|Next.. installation and probably don't know which bits they
>>are using are enterprise and which standard.
>> I am wondering if there is a straight forward way of detecting the
>>use of Enterprise features. For example, references to OLAPSYS
>>packages in the applications stored programs would mean that it is
>>using OLAP features. Is this approach feasible do you think?

A typically unhelpful response from you - didn't bother to read the original post and through in some knee-jerk posting rule nonsense.

>Not knowing which version of Oracle you are referring to I can't answer
>the question.

So why bother posting? I would be very surprised indeed if there was a version specific answer.

>But the chances of the application requiring Enterprise
>Edition are quite small so put their feet to the fire. Demand that they
>specifically state the EE features that are utilized.

Which is what I already said I would do, but in a less arrogant manner.

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from