Re: How can I tell if an application requires Enterprise Edition.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:40:32 -0800

Jim Smith wrote:

> I have a new client who have no in-house Oracle expertise. Their
> external software developer told them they needed Enterprise Edition,
> but I am fairly sure they can get by with Standard (and save a lot of
> money in the process)
>
> Obviously, I will ask the developer why they think EE is needed, but I
> suspect they don't know. They have just done a default Next|Next|Next..
> installation and probably don't know which bits they are using are
> enterprise and which standard.
>
> I am wondering if there is a straight forward way of detecting the use
> of Enterprise features. For example, references to OLAPSYS packages in
> the applications stored programs would mean that it is using OLAP
> features. Is this approach feasible do you think?

Not knowing which version of Oracle you are referring to I can't answer the question. But the chances of the application requiring Enterprise Edition are quite small so put their feet to the fire. Demand that they specifically state the EE features that are utilized.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington