Re: Extproc & shared server mode

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:45:24 +0100

On 9 Mar 2005 03:59:12 -0800, "Dmitry Pavlov" <dmitry.pavlov_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Here is the ouput of 'services ELIST' in lsnrctl:
>Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=XYZZY)))
>Services Summary...
>Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
> Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this
>service...
> Handler(s):
> "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0
> LOCAL SERVER
>The command completed successfully
>
>I see "dedicated" handler for external PLSExtProc service, maybe it's
>the problem... But I don't know how to fix it. Do you? I didn't get
>much help from error code explanations.
>
>I have SHARED_SERVERS=1, MAX_DISPATCHERS=5, and
>DISPATCHERS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(SERVICE=ORCLXDB).
The dispatchers parameter is incorrect. You have dispatcher for the TCP protocol instead of the IPC protocol. You can add a second dispatchers line right under or above the current one and have it read
dispatchers=(protocol=ipc)(key=plsextproc) and bounce your database.
The number of shared_servers is also definitely way to low. The servers are the sessions actually processing the sql, the dispatchers only hand off sql statements to the first server which is not busy. You are creating a major bottleneck now.

PS I didn't verify whether the IPC protocol actually supports MTS. I know for sure BEQueath doesn't.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA