Re: RMAN vs EXP/IMP

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 07:00:15 -0800

Vince <vincent@ wrote:

>>Exports are *not* valid backups; it's just the logical structure,
>>a backup is about the physical structure.

> what do u mean by 'not' valid backup?
> Is the logical way not as a good result as physical ?
> what does it restore, then?
>

>>Apart from that - I'd like to see anything as fast as RMAN: it >>*knows* Oracle (and skips empty blocks, to name something)

Exports have never been considered a valid backup. You may be able to 'recover' to the export itself ... but you'll not be applying archive logs for anything that happened after the export took place. There are other issues too all documented at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington