Re: Peculiar results from a simple looking query.

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:17:07 GMT

Steve H wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's time and effort...

[...]> I accept that there are many ways my query can be re-written using
> "Standard SQL" – but the issue I'm addressing is one associated with
> porting an existing complex legacy application which makes extensive
> use of CAST. The feasibility of a port of this software to use an
> Oracle back-end depends upon my establishing that Oracle will support
> the existing queries which are written in standard ANSI SQL.

[...]

If you are using Oracle Migration Workbench then there is a documented workaround which your Oracle sales rep should be more than happy to provide.

If SUBSTR() is an acceptable standard (ANSI or otherwise), then just export all your source to flat files and then it wouldn't be too hard to use Perl to globally change every occurence of CAST( ... as varchar...) to an equivalent SUBSTR.

I suspect this bug has gone unaddressed for so long because most people using Oracle would never even think to use CAST to convert one char type to another where only the length was different.

-Mark Bole Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 13:17:07 CST