Re: Peculiar results from a simple looking query.

From: Steve H <netspam_at_shic.co.uk>
Date: 25 Feb 2005 10:47:01 -0800

Thanks for everyone's time and effort...

At this stage I'm not in a position to open a "TAR" as I've no account on Metalink – and so far my search for someone with a "Support Identifier" has proven fruitless.

I accept that there are many ways my query can be re-written using "Standard SQL" – but the issue I'm addressing is one associated with porting an existing complex legacy application which makes extensive use of CAST. The feasibility of a port of this software to use an Oracle back-end depends upon my establishing that Oracle will support the existing queries which are written in standard ANSI SQL.

As far as I can tell the results of the original query are not ANSI SQL '92 compliant... I am extremely interested in references to documentation which suggests the contrary. If this functionality is an Oracle bug, then that satisfies my query. While I've received confirmation for Oracle 9 and 10 behave similarly, I'd be pleased to learn if more recent Oracle servers behave in the same way, or if there is a patch I could apply? Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 12:47:01 CST