Re: ORA-03113 and init.ora setting db_block size

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:00:55 GMT

"Rytis Sileika" <rytis@_NS--PLEASE-REMOVE-THIS_dr.com> wrote in message news:32fteaF3mmavjU1_at_individual.net...
> Hello,
>
> I encountered this problem and thought it might be helpful to someone if
> I share my experience.
>
> When creating a DB with 'dbca' tool (Oracle 9i (9.2.xx)) it failed with
> the error code ORA-03110 (end of file on communication channel).
>
> This error was caused by wrong setting in generated init.ora file. I set
> variable 'db_block_size' to 8MB and Oracle just failed. When I reduced
> it to more reasonable value of 64k, I got an error message telling me
> that this variable can only be set to values from 2k to 32k. So I set it
> to 16k and everything went well.
>
> Regards,
> Rytis

Firstly: ORA-3113 is very generic error. It could be caused by a lot of totally different reasons.

Then you are trying to imply here that a resonable value of db_block_size is 64K! And on top of that you go ahead and plug in a value which made everything go well.

db_block_size is a very important parameter. A wrong value chosen can be bad for your application. In that sense, you are actually doing more harm than good by your post here.

I would recommend reading this:
http://www.dizwell.com/html/db_block_size.html

Anurag Received on Fri Dec 17 2004 - 18:00:55 CST