Re: ORA-28002 When Using Hash

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:21:17 +0100

"Anurag Varma" <avdbi_at_hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:mWpvd.7$DQ3.4_at_twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> I too agree with Mark. Oracle does not store the old password in clear text form. If password
history is enabled, then
> oracle stores the password hash.
> You seem to be referring to the password verification function which requires the old password to
be
> supplied to it.
> In that case, the old password needs to be supplied by the user when changing the password.
> In sqlplus this would be done by the "password" command.
>

> Anurag

Yes, i was talking about the later and i missed that you have to provide the old passord. I thought Oracle provides it automatically when you execute an "alter user ... identified by".

In addition, for those like me that didn't know it, with "alter user" you can provide the old password with the "replace" clause:
alter user ... identified by <newpsw> replace <oldpsw>; but be aware that the old password is only used/checked if you change your own password _and_ if you don't have the "alter user" system privilege.

Many thanks for the clarification.
Michel Cadot Received on Tue Dec 14 2004 - 01:21:17 CST