Re: ORA-28002 When Using Hash

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:51:46 GMT

"Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote in message news:41bd439b$0$12260$626a14ce_at_news.free.fr...

> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > Michel, to the best of my knowledge Oracle does not store the original
> > password in unhashed form. Why would you think it does?
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --
> >

> I think it does because when you activate the password verification function
> and change the password of a user, Oracle gives you the _old_ and new
> passwords in clear form.
> If it can do that then, i think, it stores the old password somewhere in
> an unhashed form.
>
> Regards
> Michel Cadot

Michel,

I too agree with Mark. Oracle does not store the old password in clear text form. If password history is enabled, then oracle stores the password hash.
You seem to be referring to the password verification function which requires the old password to be supplied to it.
In that case, the old password needs to be supplied by the user when changing the password. In sqlplus this would be done by the "password" command.

Anurag Received on Mon Dec 13 2004 - 17:51:46 CST