Re: formatting output with SQL*Plus

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:22:52 -0800

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> On 09.12.2004 16:57 DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>You are correct. If the format you want is field concatenated to a
>>single vertical bar concatenated to a field then the answer has been
>>previously provided to you:
>>
>>SELECT column_name || '|' || column_name
>>FROM ...
>>
>>If that is not what you want please restate your request.

> As I have already pointed out in my original post: I get the following
> error when doing so:
> "ORA-01489: result of string concatenation is too long"
>
> I have 26 columns each of them defined as VARCHAR2(2000) (don't ask why...)
>
> Regards
> Thomas

you could try CASTing as a CLOB or alternatively CASTing as smaller VARCHARs. For example:

SELECT CAST(object_name AS VARCHAR2(40)) OBJ_NAME FROM user_objects;

But I'd be fascinated to know why every column is defined as a VARCHAR2(2000) and see if you can bring some sanity to the design (assuming there isn't some valid reason for the size).

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington