Re: ISO vs ANSI

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:41:10 -0800

Ruslan Kogan wrote:

> Thanks for that guys!!!
>
> The issue of ISO vs ANSI has generated a lot of discussion in our
> office. Many people have differing opinions about which coding
> standard should be used to code the 30 reports we are developing.
>
> It has been suggested that the ANSI standard be used because it is:
> - Newer
> - Easier to debug
> - More efficient
>
> However, some other people beleive that the ISO standard is easier to
> follow and debug.
>
> Also, it was mentioned that the ANSI standard has bugs....does anyone
> have more details on these? Are there any known bugs with the ISO
> standard?
>
> Are there things which can be done with the ANSI standard which cannot
> be done using ISO?
>
> Any views and opinions would be greatly appreciated???
>

> Thank you!!!!

It is strictly a matter of style which is used but certainly a great excuse for a quasi-religious war such as the comma war I've seen fought repeatedly:

SELECT mycolumn,

        youcolumn

vs

SELECT mycolumn

      , yourcolumn

Unless there is a specific implementation bug neither is easier or better or anything else.

The one absolute is that most Oracle folks use ISO because it is what we have been using since the dawn of neolithic period and we will continue to do so as it takes fewer keystrokes.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington