Re: When should Coding Start ?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2004 10:14:14 -0600

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, rchin_at_nietspampanix.com wrote:
> Say we are to build a new DB
> so we do spec, requirement gathering, user interview...etc, etc
> and finally data modeling.....
>
> My question is:
> At what stage of this whole process should app coding begin ???
>
> Should it be when we are confident that modeling is near
> <fill_in>% "good-to-go" and we have imported <fill_in>% of data
> from old db ?
>
> thanks for your inputs

I would say that you should get away from the separation of the database from the application. The middletier and the database code are big parts of one application. If you are ready to start coding the app, then you are ready to start coding the database. Thinking that the database needs to be "at some stage" is implying that you feel changing the database in the future to fit future needs or to correct the database design is too costly. This doesn't have to be the case.

--
Galen Boyer