Re: When should Coding Start ?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 24 Nov 2004 18:06:23 -0800

robert <rchin_at_nietspampanix.com> wrote in message news:<co31t1$t5r$1_at_reader1.panix.com>...
> Say we are to build a new DB
> so we do spec, requirement gathering, user interview...etc, etc
> and finally data modeling.....
>
> My question is:
> At what stage of this whole process should app coding begin ???
>
> Should it be when we are confident that modeling is near
> <fill_in>% "good-to-go" and we have imported <fill_in>% of data from old
> db ?
>
> thanks for your inputs

The answer is it depends on your approach.

Prototype - If you are going to use a rapid prototyping approach then you want to start coding as soon as you can so that you can put sample screens and reports it in front of the customer who will then with something to look at tell you what they really want.

No prototype - You want to delay coding to as late as possible in the development process which will give you the time necessary to hound the customer daily until they finally give you a consistent story on what they want the system to do.

With either approach you might want to code some proof of concept programs to validate any unproven technologies that will be required in the new application even when the system specifications are still very incomplete.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Nov 24 2004 - 20:06:23 CST