Perfomance differences with big databases and Unix systems

From: Star <staryon_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Nov 2004 14:13:10 -0800

Hi,

I have a question.
If I have a big database, let's suppose, tables with more than 500 millions records and many users,
is it really going to be a difference between running our database with Microsoft SQL Server and Windows
than running on a Unix system with Oracle, for example?

I know that the question is very ambiguous, and you cannot give me straight answer 'Yes or No',
but I just wanted to have an idea that if it's true that usually big databases run better on Unix systems than on Windows, just because of processes and memory handling and other factors.

PS: If this is not the right forum, please let me know where I can post my question.

Thanks Received on Tue Nov 23 2004 - 16:13:10 CST