Re: Perfomance differences with big databases and Unix systems

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:27:43 -0800

Star wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question.
> If I have a big database, let's suppose, tables with more than 500 millions
> records and many users,
> is it really going to be a difference between running our database with
> Microsoft SQL Server and Windows
> than running on a Unix system with Oracle, for example?
>
> I know that the question is very ambiguous, and you cannot give me straight
> answer 'Yes or No',
> but I just wanted to have an idea that if it's true that usually big
> databases run better on Unix systems than on
> Windows, just because of processes and memory handling and other factors.
>
> PS: If this is not the right forum, please let me know where I can post my
> question.
>

> Thanks

I would expect far better performance from Oracle on the same hardware but not necessarily from Oracle on the same operating system. Might be ... might not be ... but a lot would depend on whether the quality of work with Oracle was there as Oracle, much like a fine sports car is going to be more sensitive to being handled poorly.

But throw Linux on the drive under Oracle and I would expect it to vastly outperform SQL Server as well as be substantially less expensive and more secure.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington