Re: Controlling the number of users in the database

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:29:14 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:
> DanO wrote:

>> I have been tasked with finding a way to control (limit) the number of
>> users that log into the Oracle database while using our proprietary
>> application product.  For example, a client may buy our product and
>> purchase a 100 user license.  We need a way to prevent the 101st user
>> from logging into the database.

<snip>

> I can't imagine anyone buying your product.
> We purchase our operating systems flat fee basis. We don't pay extra
> when more people log into Linux, or Solaris or HP/UX or AIX.

Well, if it's good for operating systems, it must be the right answer for every piece of software on the planet. Case closed.

> We pay a per CPU price for Oracle. We don't pay more depending on
 > the number of connected users.

Some people do. Lots of Oracle products have a named user licensing option (including all database flavors).

> And the same model goes for all of our other software.

Well, if you say so I guess I have to believe you but that's surprising to me given how common user based licensing is with many of the products I've had to use.

> What makes you think we want to deal with a company that
> tries to create its own personal pricing model:

To make the company more profitable? Isn't that ultimately why any business should buy software?

> Certainly I would never recommend anyone go along with such a plan.

Well, hopefully the people making the decisions are more interested in making money for their investors than drawing a line in the sand with regards to how you pay for software.

--
Richard Kuhler