Re: Getting Experience with Oracle

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 03:45:56 GMT

Sam Whetstron wrote:

> Obviously, Oracle isn't freely downloadable, and if it was, I strongly

I am truly curious how you come to that conclusion.

Last time I looked, there still were no restrictions on downloading the ORacle software, installing it, and using it to one's heart's content - without any time bombs or disabled functionality.

The only thing stopping a person from putting it into production without paying anything, after having read and agreed to the license agreement, is a minor matter of ethics (and potentially a fear of lawyers).

> suspect that it would be a major PITA for someone with little
> practical experience to install and administer.

That part I can agree with. Definitely a huge PITA, especially for those coming from a 'insert CD and guess' background.

Oracle is intended to be used by people who wish to be professional DBAs and developers. And who therefore are willing to invest time and effort into learning to use it properly.

However, Oracle even provides free tutorials, complete with pictures (screen shots) for the reading-impaired. That, like the software, is available from Oracle's technet site at http://otn.oracle.com - the software is available from the 'download' link, the 'Oracle By Example' is available from the training link.

But I suspect you already knew that and, after having studyied the Oracle FAQ at http://orafaq.com, simply made such a bold assertion (starting with "Obviously") as above just to see what kind of reaction you would get.

/Hans Received on Mon Nov 22 2004 - 21:45:56 CST