Re: Oracle column data types ane .NET data types

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:30:01 -0800

Edward Diener wrote:

> I am working with an Oracle database and am using ADO .NET to read in column
> values from a row into .NET data types. How can I determine at compile time,
> for a given Oracle column data type what is the corresponding .NET data type
> ? Is this in some Oracle documentation for using Oracle in ADO .NET ? Is it
> in some Microsoft documentation for using Oracle with ADO .NET ? I have not
> been able to find it anywhere as yet.

Sounds like a terrible design and I'd suggest you re-evaluate what it is you are creating.

But that said ... query all_tab_columns and have a table to translate data types, subtypes, lengths, and precisions.

BTW: If you are thinking you are going to connect to ANY Oracle database your product will fail as there is no way it will be able to handle user defined data types.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington