Re: data integrity check?

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_NoOrSaPcAlMe.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2004 05:47:06 -0800

In article <c7976c46.0411110902.b1fa2c2_at_posting.google.com>, puppet_sock_at_hotmail.com says...

>The situation:
>
>My Oracle database gets data from other Oracle databases.
>At present, this is done through an ODBC connection run
>by a VB prog. But this may change, possibly to a DBLINK,
>or possibly something else. (In passing, any advice on
>how to do that would be gladly accepted.)
>
>The IT powers-that-be in this place have passed on a decree.
>All data transfers between databases shall include an integrity
>check of the data. By which they seem to mean that some process
>shall exist that does some kind of check that the data at the
>other end is the same as the data that gets through. They seem
>to be worried about corruption in the data transmissions.
>
>I'm thinking some kind of equivalent of a CRC or some such
>thing. Is there any such thing built in to any standard data
>fetch from one Oracle db to another? Or will I need to roll
>my own?
>Socks

Unless I'm missing something, the Advanced Security Option is what you need. It uses MD5 or SHA-1 to detect corruption during transmission. I would also suggest enabling encryption at the same time.

                                  Rick

--
                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation