Re: Oracle Desktop?

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:28:50 GMT

Info_at_FortLauderdaleFriendMaker.Com wrote:

> Rauf, if you are not going to answer the question then you should not
> respond at all.
>
> Providing me a link to a million other links is not what I need.
>
> Bob

Actually, he pointed you in the right direction. To use Oracle you need to get used to OTN as a primary source for information - it ain't your grandma's DBase

But since you can't see it directly ...

Go to OTN as he indicated;

        (note the list boxes at bottom - documentation is your friend)

Go to the downloads - several download links on that page, but I suggest the one labled "More Downloads" roughly middle of right hand column;

Select the version of the database you want;

        (current & recommended is 10g, most popular right now is probably
         9i Release 2)

Read the license carefully - note there are NO useage limits, time bombs or disabled features. You are on your honor to license it properly after eval.

ANd no - there is no Oracle Desktop edition. Closest you'll come is 'Personal' and that has the same features as 'Enterprise' as it's assumed the person downloading is a developer of enterprise s/w.

Based on history of people asking similar questions, I doubt that you will do any reading - looking forward to your 'how do I' posts <g> However, I do suggest you wait until you've read some overview info, such as the Oracle Concepts manual and/or the OReilly book 'Oracle Essentials' which can be found at http://oracle.oreilly.com/

/Hans Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 15:28:50 CDT