Re: Multilanguage application & database

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:44:00 GMT

K wrote:

> We have to create a multilanguage application; meaning that tables in
> the database with fields like "description", "label", "name", etc.
> need this information in more than 1 language, so it can be shown to
> each user in his own language. So I'm NOT asking for different
> character sets (I've found dozens of posts about that).

Confusion ....

When you say "tables in the database with fields" .... are you referring to "columns"? (For me, field is something on a screen to be handled by the front-end, just like Oracle Discoverer's EUL.)

If that is the case, and if you are concerned with the column name (not the contents), have you considered using language-mapping views to overlay the table and 'rename' columns to the appropriate language? Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 16:44:00 CDT