Re: 10g Enterprise Manager

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:40:55 +1000

Robert wrote:

> "Robert"

>>I installed 10g R1 while laptop was connected to network
>> so EM "established" the node as "mylaptop.mydomain.com".
>>
>> Well it's now OFFLINE so EM won't work no more.
>>
>> Is there any way to fix this w/o re-installing EM on localhost or
> something ?
>
> I resolved this problem by doing the following instruction from Support:
> (This is on Windoz BTW)

Precisely. This has come up as an issue on numerous occasions here. Essentially, what the "workaround" does is to insert a fake NIC into your machine and give it a static address.

What that actually means is: Oracle will NOT work with DHCP. Period.

When I've said that in the past, some people have said that the fact the workaround is available at all means that Oracle DOES work with DHCP. But since it works only by pretending that DHCP doesn't exist, I've never seen the validity of that viewpoint.

Of course, and to flog a dead horse, if you install into a virtual machine, then the issue goes away, even for a home PC that doesn't have a real network card at all... because virtual machines emulate a virtual network, and whether the host (physical) machine has a DHCP-assigned IP address, or no IP address at all, is irrelevant to the virtual server.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Oct 18 2004 - 14:40:55 CDT