Re: getting certified

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2004 17:21:27 -0700

boogab00_at_yahoo.com (obiru) wrote in message news:<32948959.0410040600.4809954f_at_posting.google.com>...
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1096733426.919631_at_yasure>...
> > John T wrote:
> >
> > > Dave,
> > >
> > > What would be the best thing to do then?
> > >
> > > John
> > > "Dave" <david.sharples3_at_ntlXworld.com> wrote in message

> > A very difficult question. The OCP is as close to worthless as something
> > can be. It has incorrect answers, it asks about obscurities, and it does
> > not focus on those skills actually required to "do the job."
> >
> > At this point, unfortunately, our industry has no actual means of
> > measuring competency. And that not only helps the feeble it hurts the able.
>
> I would have to respectfully disagree that "The OCP is as close to
> worthless as something can be." Your points are well taken and
> accurate, but those who are certified seem to have a better basic
> understanding of the fundamentals of Oracle. To become an "expert" or
> "guru", you must have this foundation.

As one who has been around since before there was an OCP, and is OCP, I must say: Bullshit!

I don't agree with Daniel that it is that close to worthless, as it does expose people to things they otherwise wouldn't ever see, but the things to be expert or guru are most certainly not OCP. I don't know one way or the other as regards to OCM.

I'd say, look at the things people who are experts do, and measure expertise to there. Quite different than OCP.

A couple of close readings of the concepts manual, together with some basic learning experiences with a live database and actual database situations, will give a better understanding of the fundamentals of Oracle than the OCP. Some good training will help to. But the classes oriented towards OCP? Not so good. I'd say an observation that the certified have a better understanding of the fundamentals may be skewed by the fact that those who are likely to have a better understanding are more likely to have taken the classes and certs, not the other way around. They are simply more motivated to have signs of achievements. Of course, if that is true, than that perhaps justifies HR departments asking for it, but since it is based on a fallacy, the HR departments are incorrectly rejecting more experienced people who can do the job better. Why can they do the job better? Because there is so much information to know, that consistently learning and improving is much better than either drinking from a firehose or lightly touching on too many things.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://radio.weblogs.com/0132383/stories/2004/05/21/mutlicastChecker.html