Maximum length of table and column names

From: Jens Riedel <JensRie_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:22:14 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to port an application from a mySQL database to Oracle 9. I have problems to create some tables because the table or column names seem to be too long.
I found the following:

ORA-00972: identifier is too long

Cause: The name of a schema object exceeds 30 characters. Schema objects are tables, clusters, views, indexes, synonyms, tablespaces, and usernames.

Action: Shorten the name to 30 characters or less.

My question: is a column name also limited to 30 characters and is there a possibility to change these settings instead of shortening the table and column names?

Thanks and regards,
Jens Received on Fri Oct 01 2004 - 02:22:14 CDT