Re: Oracle scalability issues

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:43:18 -0400

"Jørgen Ruud" <jorgenru_at_jaguar.stud.ntnu.no> wrote in message news:slrncllmso.90v.jorgenru_at_jaguar.stud.ntnu.no...
> Mark D Powell wrote:
> >Jorgen, do you mean other than the basic scalability question concerning
> >RAC to begin with?
>
> The sort of scalability i think about is:
> - what will happen if the DB expiriences a doubling, trebling, ten fold
> increase in number of operations per second.
> - is it usually the memory, the cpu or the disk that is the
> bottleneck, or is it something totaly else. Like memory leaks?
>
> >was released I would recommend you use 9.2.0.4 or higher if possible. We
> Sorry this was a typo, the system already runs on 9.2.0.X
>
> --
> Jørgen Ruud
> jorgenru_at_stud.ntnu.no

In addition to what Sybrand wrote, keep in mind that disk bottlenecks will almost always have a bigger impact than memory bottlenecks because disk I/O is thousands of times slower than memory I/O. So, a small disk I/O problem can often (not always) cause a bigger delay than a big memory problem. See the O'Reilly book, "Oracle Performance Tuning" for a start on the subject. Scalability is a much bigger topic than can be covered in the time you have, IMO. You may want to narrow down your topic. Received on Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:43:18 CDT