Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.misc -> Re: Non-interactive install problem

Re: Non-interactive install problem

From: Daniel Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:27:06 -0700
Message-ID: <1095895699.884056@yasure>

JGH wrote:
> Replying to my own post because I got it to work. I don't really know
> why though. If any one can explain it I'd be grateful. But I'm going to
> explan what I did in the hope that it will someday help someone else
> googling for the same problem.
> While I was googling this up, I saw a message that said you could turn
> on a trace by setting the value of TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT in
> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora. So I did that.
> That gave me an empty file in my home directory. So I changed it to:
> That gave me some messages. One looked like this:
> [22-SEP-2004 16:14:50:826] Attempted load of local pfile source
> /usr/local/oracle/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
> I remembered reading that Oracle uses the sqlnet.ora file for specs
> about how to connect to a name server. I didn't want it to do that so I
> deleted the file $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora.
> And then it worked. I was able to connect to all the servers in my
> tnsnames.ora file.
> Apparently, if there's an sqlnet.ora file, it's going to try to connect
> to a name server and ignore tnsnames.ora.
> JGH <> wrote in
> news:cisne8$26e$

>>I'm blind and I'm trying to install Oracle client software on a Red
>>Hat Advanced Server machine. I did a silent and/or non-interactive
>>install via an ssh window because the GUI doesn't work with my screen
>>$ /home/oracle/Disk1/runinstaller -silent -responsefile 
>>It took me days to get it to go all the way through but eventually, I
>>got the incantation just right. Or so it seemed. But now I'm getting
>>the classic error "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name" when
>>I try to connect to a remote DB via sqlplus.
>>ORACLE_HOME is set to /usr/local/oracle and there's a tnsnames.ora
>>file in /usr/local/oracle/network/admin/.

SQLNET.ORA is an optional configuration file. It obviously contained some eroneous information that was messing up the connection ... my guess a domain name. That said ... you should probably recreate a good SQLNET.ORA file based on learning about SQL*Net and building one that does what you want it to do.

Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)
Received on Wed Sep 22 2004 - 18:27:06 CDT

Original text of this message