Re: Non-interactive install problem

From: JGH <johnheim_at_nospam.tds.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:39:55 +0000 (UTC)

Replying to my own post because I got it to work. I don't really know why though. If any one can explain it I'd be grateful. But I'm going to explan what I did in the hope that it will someday help someone else googling for the same problem.

While I was googling this up, I saw a message that said you could turn on a trace by setting the value of TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora. So I did that.

TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=1 That gave me an empty file in my home directory. So I changed it to: TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT=10 That gave me some messages. One looked like this: [22-SEP-2004 16:14:50:826] Attempted load of local pfile source /usr/local/oracle/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

I remembered reading that Oracle uses the sqlnet.ora file for specs about how to connect to a name server. I didn't want it to do that so I deleted the file $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/sqlnet.ora.

And then it worked. I was able to connect to all the servers in my tnsnames.ora file.

Apparently, if there's an sqlnet.ora file, it's going to try to connect to a name server and ignore tnsnames.ora.

JGH <johnheim_at_nospam.tds.net> wrote in

--
Puddles