seeking DBMS v MCSE career advice

From: Peter Lucas <plucas_at_toad.net>
Date: 15 Sep 2004 18:50:23 -0700

I am a self-taught inhouse systems administrator and db developer for a property development and management company, but it looks like the "house" is about to fall down, so I am now looking at exit strategies. Using Filemaker Pro I developed a comprehensive relational database for the company, which I enjoyed doing very much. I am now looking at an intensive training and certification program at Johns Hopkins Computer Career Institute in Columbia MD in either Oracle or MS certification programs.
I would appreciate any thoughts about the relative merits and benefits of following the Oracle path as opposed to MS certification programs. What are suggested introductory materials to Oracle? Who are the major users? What is the current job market for Oracle DB administrators? Would I be better off following the MS cert program? What can I expect in salary? Is the product feasible for small and large users alike? If anyone familiar with the Johns Hopkins program reads this post, I would appreciate your evaluation of it. Any and all remarks are welcome...
As an aside, although I have been administering a W2K server network, my preferred machine, which I use at home, is Mac. Are there any niche opportunities to be found in the Mac world? Thanks in advance,
Peter Lucas Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 20:50:23 CDT