Re: seeking DBMS v MCSE career advice

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 02:02:09 GMT

plucas_at_toad.net (Peter Lucas) wrote in

> I am a self-taught inhouse systems administrator and db developer for
> a property development and management company, but it looks like the
> "house" is about to fall down, so I am now looking at exit strategies.
> Using Filemaker Pro I developed a comprehensive relational database
> for the company, which I enjoyed doing very much.
> I am now looking at an intensive training and certification program at
> Johns Hopkins Computer Career Institute in Columbia MD in either
> Oracle or MS certification programs.
> I would appreciate any thoughts about the relative merits and benefits
> of following the Oracle path as opposed to MS certification programs.
> What are suggested introductory materials to Oracle? Who are the major
> users? What is the current job market for Oracle DB administrators?
> Would I be better off following the MS cert program? What can I expect
> in salary? Is the product feasible for small and large users alike? If
> anyone familiar with the Johns Hopkins program reads this post, I
> would appreciate your evaluation of it. Any and all remarks are
> welcome...
> As an aside, although I have been administering a W2K server network,
> my preferred machine, which I use at home, is Mac. Are there any niche
> opportunities to be found in the Mac world?
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter Lucas

I hate to rain on your parade, but I give a snowball as good a chance to land a job as an Oracle DBA with your background. I am NOT commenting on YOUR abilities. I would not let a "paper" DBA anywhere close to any production system. Forgive me, but Filemaker Pro is to RDBMS as a Yugo is to a NASCAR automobile. Because you can "drive" one does not mean that you are capable to drive the other.

I detest Micro$soft in particular & GUI's in general, but you'd stand a better chance (for any number of reasons) to get a job with some flavor of MS certificate. The pay is lower than an Oracle DBA, but it is better than nothing.

The MAC holds 5% (or less) marketshare and it is NOT growing.

From my perspective you have a choice to make; 1) do I want to be an "administrator" (DB, system, network, etc) 2) do I want to be a programmer/analyst

Good Luck! Received on Wed Sep 15 2004 - 21:02:09 CDT