Re: Oracle 8.0.6 on Windows 2003

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:08:41 GMT

David Fitzjarrell wrote:

> karenmiddleol_at_yahoo.com (Karen Middleton) wrote in message news:<a5fd468a.0409120222.26000cc_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>I need to install Oracle 806 on Windows 2003 for a legacy application
>>that works only with Oracle 806 it is not certified for Oracle 816 or
>>Oracle 9x or Oracle 10g.

[...]
>>Thanks
>>Karen

[...]
> I know you are in a position you can't change given the legacy
> software you are required to support. I hope you can find a Windows
> NT 4.0 machine to use, or that you can find the installation disks/CDs
> to put NT 4.0 on a more modern box (presuming it will install on a
> recent machine). It is the only operating system you can use for
> Oracle 8.0.6.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Are you sure this vendor's product is certified for the 21st century? ;-)

As Daniel said, just because it's not "certified" for newer versions of Oracle doesn't mean it won't work. There is typically a high degree of backwards compatibility in Oracle's RDBMS products.

However, installing NT 4.0 on a modern PeeCee can be done, if you find you must go that route. (I wouldn't trust the reliability of a piece of hardware old enough to have come with NT 4.0 as the original OS). The biggest problem you may have, other than getting your hands on the NT 4.0 disks and downloading SP4 or higher, is not recognizing an IDE hard drive larger than 8 GB. See Microsoft document Q197667 for workaround.

--Mark Bole Received on Sun Sep 12 2004 - 16:08:41 CDT