Re: The reserved word "ACCESS" in a field list of a PL SQL Query

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:16:51 GMT

Turkbear wrote:

> Actually I was taught that a table has records which have fields and
> that they only are called rows and columns because of the way they are
> most often displayed, since they obviously are not arranged that way in
> the database.
>

> Tuples, anyone? ;-)

My preference is for tuple/attribute for ER design, table/column for Relational implemetation & web page, record/field for forms & structure.

Reason for tab/col - when I want to see a definition I look at DBA_TABLES and DBA_TAB_COLUMNS views provided by Oracle. (PErhaps you interrogate DBA_RECORDS?) WRT the post, I have seen the term 'field' mapped to 'form' rather too often. These days, when I hear a person grumble about things like field names in SELECT statements, I tend to think they've spent too much time with tools related to VB and Access - and then I think of the associated difficulties in explaining Oracle concepts to that person.

However, I'll not quibble.

/Hans Received on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 18:16:51 CDT